 Robotics / 16535
Re: how robust is Lego ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:00:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Fabien Defays" <defays@montefiore.ulg.ac.be> writes:
All,

I would like to build a robot able to play with a poll ball.
The idea is to build an arm on the robot to grip the ball and carry it.

The problem is the dimension of the ball : 14 cm and 300 grammes.
Are the Lego enough robust to do such tasks?

Fabien, I wish I knew what a 14 cm 'poll ball' was used for!  Is it a game
like billiards?  LEGO constructs can be built pretty robust.  In my view,
the challenge would be to carry the ball in the center so it can be conveyed
with stability (not tip over).  With worm and wheel conversion you can
surely develop enough torque to clamp and lift 300 gms.  It would be a big
vehicle to carry a 14 cm diameter ball.  Lotsa parts...!

Good luck, Jerry