 Robotics / 16317
Re: Suspension for supercar sized Hummer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:12:59 GMT

Michael Camilleri
"Michael Camilleri" <yellow5guy@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:...
One thing I forgot to mention is that this will be powered by 4 gear • motors
on the back wheels and 2 to steer.  The steering wheels will be powered by
an RCX and monitored with a rotation sensor.  The back 4 will be powered • by
a battery box controlled by a micrometer and switch.

--
Michael Camilleri
"Thomas (T. J.) Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
Finally, a decent Technic discussion!

In lugnet.technic, Michael Camilleri writes:
I have been thinking about building a supercar Sized Hummer for some • time
now and have run into a problem.  I need a 4wd independent suspension • with
good ground clearance.  I plan to use the wheels off of the Super • Street
Sensation and want the center of the chassis to sit at least 2.5 inches • off
of the ground.  I am pretty new to technic and only have Mindstorms, • the
Super Street Sensation, and various smaller sets so I am pretty limited • on
parts.  I am happy buying suspension parts and lots of plates and beams • to
make the body, but don't want to spend my money on something I don't • need.
I was wondering if any of you had any ideas for, or sets that include a
suspension setup that I could modify to make this thing sit at least • 2.5
inches off of the ground.  I have tried to modify the Super Street
Sensation's Suspension.  The back suspension raises up just fine and is
plenty firm with an additional spring, but because of those little ball
joint things the front suspension wont go high enough and it will be • very
difficult to power.  Any ideas would be a big help.

I'm not sure if it will be easy to get 2.5" of ground clearance given • the
wheels you will be using. You might be better off using the "power • puller"
wheels:
Power Puller: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8457
4x4 Off Roader: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8466
They're much larger in diameter.

This may or may not help, but here are a few things I've built:
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/vehicles/

There are many others who have tackled the "independent suspension with
drive" problem so hopefully you'll get more responses. I've cross-posted • to
lugnet.robotics because there are many people there who might be able to
help (but they may not see this on .technic).

TJ