 Robotics / 16286
Re: Linux and USB Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:40:16 GMT

Hi,

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Frank Geusch) writes:

does anyone know of a possibility to talk to an RIS 2.0 USB Tower
from linux? According to  http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
the USB Tower is still unsupported. Anyone working on it?

yes, you want to join us?  See http://legousb.sourceforge.net/ .

Any helpful hints regarding specs or the like?

In principle it looks rather easy, but currently the
interface between the Linux kernel and user programs (usbdevfs)
doesn't support interrupt transfers, which is what the tower
uses (it has to, because it is a slow 1.5MB device).
It is unclear when that will be available, it seems to be
difficult according to one of the core USB developers
(see the linux-usb-devel mailing list).

Other kernel drivers that use interrupt transfer are typically
input devices, so there's no easy example driver to get a head
start from.  So it is also difficult to come up with a kernel
driver, but maybe I'll make another try on the next weekend anyway.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/