 Robotics / 1628
RE: All-around-the-robot bump detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:23:54 GMT

Hmmmmm,

It's morning and I haven't had coffee yet so bear this in mind but it
seems to me that this is a) a fairly cool scheme for post collision
detection, and b)expandable to support direction detection through the use
of 4 sensors.  Imagine that instead of wrapping the tubind around the
robot you construc 4 outside "rails" for the thing (like guard rails) on
the front, back, left, and right (assuming you have a robot that moves in
these directions).  Next, you attach to the outside of the rails a very
thin "bladder" (sort of like those things you fill with hot water and use
as heating pads, the name escapes me at the moment). You should be able to
make some fairly easily and these would hold more air than plain tubing,
and could be quite large (say 3 or 4 inches square).  Glue a tube into one
side and run that back to the robot and attach it to the system already
described, and do this for each side and I think this would work as basic
post collision detection.  Maby you could get fancy and try to register
combinations like front/right and back/left.  If they form a complete
ring around the robot this might be useful.

Like I said, just ideas, and I haven't yet woken up.  Thoughts ?

Andy

Andrew Phelps
Graduate Assistant
Rochester Institute of Technology