 Robotics / 1624
Re: All-around-the-robot bump detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:10:02 GMT

Michael Gasperi wrote:

For those of you with LEGO pneumatics, I've got a question.  There seems to
be a need for an all-around-the-robot bump detector.  Would this work?  Wrap
soft rubber tubing around the robot, seal one end of the tube, and connect
the other to a pneumatic cylinder.  Have the cylinder push on a touch switch
just short of turning it on.  When the robot bumps something the pressure in
the tube goes up enough to push the switch.

Nice idea, just one problem though...

It gives you no idea as to the direction of the collision so the robot
would need some other means of locating the cause of the collision and
taking remedial action.

Still, if you can solve that problem...
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.