 Robotics / 16181
Re: Should I upgrade RIS 1.5 to 2.0?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:31:26 GMT

George Agnelli <george@mattandgeorge.com> writes:

I predominatly use my RCX 1.5 with leJos and NQC. What do I need to take
advantage of the new features in the RCX 2.0?

As for lejos, there's no difference.

and do I need the software upgrade?

To use the new features with NQC you need the new firmware, which
used to be available at http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2/sdk.asp,
but this link is now broken.
It should also be somewhere on the CD in RIS 2.0 and the upgrade kit.

Do I need a new RCX

I've not yet looked at the ROM, but I suspect there's no difference,
so your old one is fine.

and IR tower

Only if you want to save 9V batteries in the long term, and
are willing to wait for USB tower support in lejos and NQC.
Probably the USB tower is even more restrictive than the serial one,
for example I suspect that fast downloads will no longer work.

Or is there a way to continue with my existing set up?

Sure.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>