 Robotics / 1581
Re: New ROBOLAB pages... (Macs to IR tower)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:57:57 GMT

On 12/16/98 3:51 PM, John Donaldson, jdonaldson@ghg.net, said:

If Robolab uses the RCX and can be programmed from either a PC or a
MAC, How does it download the program on a MAC?? From what I have been
reading, the IR tower CAN NOT be used on a MAC.

Ok, I haven't actually tried this, but from what I've gleaned from the
messages here:

1) The Mindstorms software will NOT work under Mac emulation because of
the archaic and proprietary manner in which it tests for the existence of
the IR tower -- using hardware lines that the Mac does not have.

2) Robolab does not do a hardware check for the IR tower, and since it
also runs natively on the Mac, has no troubles downloading from the Mac.

I plan to test all of this in 9 days after my Mac-based son receives his
mindstorms set and Robolab software.

BTW, in the "old days", whenever a silly PC device required the toggling
of RTS/CTS that were not "always" available on the Mac, we used to tie
the lines together on the PC device cable side, or tie the device line
High or Low as required by the device. Can that not be done in this case?

Michael