 Robotics / 15615
Re: Mindstorms and com ports
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:04:22 GMT

hi katherine,

guess what u're not the only who found an excuse to play with
mindstorms all summer. thats what i am doing too. i am a masters
student at univ of toledo,oh.

just last nite i completed code for connecting to the rcx using java
comm. it works perfectly. i program the rcx using my own java code
without use of any mindstorms software. as part of my masters project
i am controlling the mindstorms using a java based cell phone. for
the server part on my comp i created an application that will simply
connect to the rcx and write bytes to the serial port to which the
rcx successfully repsonds.

there is also working code available at
http://www.escape.com/~dario/java/rcx/ . all u have to do is download
and use. its all in java. its a perfect start. if u r having probs
connecting to the rcx (which is what i had) then make sure u have
downloaded the java comm and strictly followed the installation
instructions on the sun site. otherwise ur code will compile but when
run it will simply say that ur com port is missing.

hope this helps...all the best..

--- Katherine L Simpson <msc44kls@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
Dear all

I'm currently a masters student at Birmingham Uni in the UK
researching
child robotic programming.  (This was essentially an excuse to play
with
the RCX blocks all summer ...) I was hoping to redevelop the
Mindstorms
software by writing my own application (in java) but still using
the RCX
programming language (which can be accessed seperatly in the
Legomindstorms software package under logobloc)  which can be
opened
within the application as a seperate process.  However although the
programming enviroment appears on cue I can not download any of the
RCX
programs as it complains that the COM port is not opened, I have
tried
various strategies (using java API communications as the first) but
no avail!  Does any body know any thing about how mindstorms
software
was put together?  Or how it might be possible to open a com port
just
for the programming enviroment?

Thanks all for the entertaining and informative e mails so far..

Katherine Simpson

PS. Count me in for the lego rescue mission to the atlantic.

--
Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics

=====

"Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering" - Master Yoda, Star Wars - Episode I