 Robotics / 15613
15612  |  15614
Subject:
Rcx and IR transmitions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:16:25 GMT

Hello Everybody

This is just to put clear thar IR emissions from the tower or from the RCX are
always able to be "jammed" specially in our days of signals everywhere ......

the idea to download Firmware about 10 cm or 4" in between seems the most "safe"
due to the natural "loss" of signal ( light ) due to distance.

Technically........  Light ( IR light ) or Signal travel trought the air but it
disperses also in a relation inverse to square the distance......  that means
that if the amount of light mesured at ( for example ) 1 inch in front of the
tower is 10 "units" at 2 inches you will not find 5 units, you will find 2.5
units wich means the loss is big depending on distance .

If we add to this that many devices today can emit IR signals it is very
possible that signals be mixed or jammed in the air, because this light has also
the ability to be reflected in many surfaces

Depending on the sensibility of the IR detectors and the quality of the
discrimination of the electronics involved in the process of comunication it
will be possible the succesfull comunication .......

When downloading Firmware then, is the best to keep safe the most all
comunications between tower and RCx unless we really want to have a big yellow
lego brick ......

:-)

Luck to all !!!

Morgan.