 Robotics / 15573
Re: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:13:08 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 21:26:15 GMT Scot Wilcoxon <scot@wilcoxon.org>
writes:
Another way of working around the high power and range problems would
be
an IR repeater.  Usually these are used to extend the range of IR
remote
controls to another room or to a stage.

http://www.google.com/search?q=infrared+repeater

A two-way device might be needed here -- I've also seen some
two-way
radio relays, intended to allow any remote to work in any room.

http://www.google.com/search?q=infrared+repeater+radio

Has anyone already used any of these devices, so we know they
indeed
work?
--
Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics

If you are interested I put together a simple device that allows the
tower and RCX to communicate (wires now but I hope to do wireless). I
used Radio Shack IR lights and receivers –catalog numbers 276-145A and
276-143C, as well as a couple of wires and a 9 volt battery. The only
thing with this unit that I have found out is that you need to have the
units close to the RCX and IR tower. If you have any questions, please
reply to me directly.

IR Tower  <-> Unit ----- Long wires ---- <-> RCX

IR lights and receivers at both ends of unit and long wires.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.