 Robotics / 15520
Re: IR Tower Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 03:07:50 GMT

In article <Pine.SO4.4.05.10105291215210.13552-100000@no10.superb.net>,
Dan Boger <dan@peeron.com> wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Matthew Miller wrote:
Not really -- the tower uses its own proprietary communcations
format.
This isn't true at all.  The tower converts an RS-232 serial
transmission
directly into IR and vice-versa.  It is a pretty standard protocol.

Ooops, sorry. I didn't really mean proprietary -- I meant "not normal
for
remote controls".

nod, but that made me think if we can use the IrComm package, and use a
laptop's ir port to communicate with the rcx - didn't get a chance to try
it yet - did anyone?

Dan

The only IrCOMM I know of is part of the IrDA standard.  It provides
something that looks just like a typical serial port to the application,
but underneath is layered on top of IrLAP (packet based link level
prototocol for IrDA).  This means that a single byte at the COMM level
turns into a more complicated packet at the physical level.
Furthermore, the physical signalling used by IrDA is different from
Mindstorms.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com