 Robotics / 15377
15376  |  15378
Subject:
Walker Balance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 14:07:41 GMT

    I have been working on my pneumatic walker for a while and have ran
into a problem.  Looking at all the other walkers out on the internet, I
noticed that all designs use a track system or a tipping system for
shifting weight on top. I don't really want to use an ankle shifting
mechanism now, due to the fact that I only have so many motors, but I
try tipping the rcx over each leg, and that doesn't work, then I built a
rack system.  It was at least 30 studs long (2 of those really long (16
stud) ones, and a 4 stud one), and the only way I got it to balance was
by having the RCX totally on the outside of the leg.  Anyway, when the
legs move, the balance shifts slightly, and the walker falls.  I need a
new solution for balance.  Would an ankle-shifting mechanism be best? I
think that I am going to run out of motors anyway, so I guess it doesn't
matter how many the system uses.
    Right now I have it being able to take one step, but when the leg is
at its fullest extension, the robot tips forward, and balance is lost,
because of the other leg now being behind.  I am stuck at this step, I
can't get the robot to have legs both up and down from this  position:
                      |\
                      | \
                      |  \
Any ideas?