 Robotics / 15277
Re: Multiplexer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:33:51 GMT

hi Gordon,

nice idea, don't have a remote control and so I'm totally unaware of what it's doing.
But I imagine the remote control just sends the direct commands (identical to the direct commands send by the IR-tower).
So you will have to download other than the standard firmware into the brick to decode this packages in another way.

I've been thinking about a similar idea, build a "remote IR control", which sets with the "SETVAR" direct command the variable on place 31. You can use 16 switch sensors in that way. Such a remote control could easily be build with a PIC (I've no experience (yet)  with it).
And what if you want to use some more intelligent sensors, like rotation or light sensors ? You can only use one of them.
Als the power consumption will be needless to high.

So why not use a normal multiplexer ?
I've made an overview (probably not complete), see

    http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~smientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_electronica/Switch_multiplexer.htm

Gordon wrote:

I was thinking about this the other day, and it occurred to me that the
Mindstorms remote would make a very useful switch multiplexer. It wouldn't
even use any inputs!

I haven't tried this (yet) but the idea is to replace the buttons with
microswitches, and position the IR LEDs on the remote PC board in front of
the RCXs IR window. You would of course have to use a non-standard
language/operating system in the RCX to decode the messages.

Might be a little work, but gives us a 10-12 switch MUX with no inputs used.

Regards
Gordon

best regards,
Stef Mientki