 Robotics / 14772
Re: Internal Photos of the LEGO Capacitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.dacta
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 02:18:39 GMT

Ok, I gotta jump in here for a minute, I have 6 Solar cells and 4
Capacitors, I am building them into the Wings of my Robot.

Heres what I know about the Solar Cell and Capacitor. Solar Cell output 2.5
volts direct sunlight, Capacitor and solar cell specs can be found at the
Pitsco Dacta web site. The capacitor is best used in conjuntion with a 9
volt motor acting as a Generator. That is to say, connect a capacitor to a
motor, then incorporate the motion from another source to cause the
"generator" to spin. This will send energy to the capcitor. Connect another
wire on top of this and send power to an additional source. Solar Cells and
capacitors can be "strung" along to provide a greater output. When a
capacitor has not been used for a time or has not been charge yet, you must
"Prime" the Capacitor. That is to say, Fully Charge the capacitor and drain
it once. Spin the "Generator" or apply light to a Solar array untill the LED
on the Capacitor lights up. A 9 volt Motor will respond at 1 volt of
electricity.

Thanks. Eric

In lugnet.robotics, Micah J. Mabelitini writes:
Okay, here's top and bottom photos of the LEGO capacitor's circuit
board. They're not the best, but the circuit board is only about 1" square.

http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/legocap_top.jpg
http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/legocap_bottom.jpg