 Robotics / 14684
14683  |  14685
Subject:
Preliminary Solar Cell Output Measurements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.dacta
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:36:57 GMT

These results are preliminary, but they'll give you some idea of the
solar cell's capabilities.

Outdoors - Full Overcast
Voltage: 3.5V
Amperage: 30mA

Incandescent Lightbulb - 100W@1"
Voltage: 4.1V
Amperage: 150mA

Indandescent Lightbulb - 100W@6"
Voltage: 3.7V
Amperage: 30mA

Incandescent Lightbulb - 100W@2'
Voltage: 3.1V
Amperage: 3mA

Notice how the amperage drops off *much* faster than voltage. The values
above are guesstimated averages based on about 1 minute of uninterrupted
observation for each condition. Possible sources of error for these
readings include: low battery in my multimeter, and user error. I'm not
an electronics engineer, just technically literate. I couldn't find the
manual for my multimeter so I could've been reading the place values
wrong on the display. I'll append this with readings in full sunlight
once the weather here cooperates.

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/