 Robotics / 14337
Re: What kind of plastic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:27:32 GMT

PVC pipe cement is the easiest kind of glue to get hold of for gluing Lego
bricks. It is "VERY" effective. Use a tooth pick to apply it - you don't
need much!

As far as axles and other axle related parts, they are made of something
quite different - maybe some kind of nylon or delrin or something. It
is a lot harder to glue. I have had some success using contact cement
and allowing it to harden over a period of about a week after joining the
parts.

For example, 32013, Angle connector, #1 can be shortened by half a stud
and by using a shortened 2 stud long axle, joined to another shortened 32013
with its hole at right angles. (This part is very useful as a lock for
technic beams
connected at right angles to other technic beams.) I found that using contact
cement to hold the short piece of cross axle in place in this construction
works
well if its allowed to set for a really long time.

I have been unsuccessful in finding any glues which actually "weld" the
axle material as MEK based glues do for the bricks.

JB