 Robotics / 1401
Re: Compass/directional sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 07:10:23 GMT

In article <002101be26fe$548a96f0$2b00c8c0@tim.ams.co.nz>, Tim McSweeney
<tim@ams.co.nz> writes
You could mount a printed disk on a comapss needle and use some sort of
encoding via the light sensor to determine your direction.

By changing the shade from white to black you'd probably be able to get a
decent angle reading.  The only tricky bit is what happens at the
black-white meeting, If the light sensor detects this as a mid-gray you'd be
out be 180deg.

If you could find a code which only changes by one bit at any transition
you would be OK.  I know that the Gray Scale does this for linear
measurement, but is there a Gray Scale which wraps around between 359
and 000 degrees with a single but change?  That would work.
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 12