 Robotics / 13991
Re: Scanner / Terrain Modeller?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:26:11 GMT

I, personally, would take some sort or range sensor and pass it over the
model in a grid fashon.  You could then take that data into a computer and
wouldn't require you to have a camera.  I can provide help if you want it.
This might be somewhat similar to the laser-rangefinder device (I know, that
does need a camera).

Tim

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
To: Lego Robotics <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Scanner / Terrain Modeller?

Gary Mullen wrote:

Well I was talking about creating a device using LEGO which would "scan"
an object.  When I say scan, what I actually mean is take measurements • of
the object.  This may involve using light or sound or just by touching • the
object.  Either the scanning device would rotate around the object or it
would rotate the object, using this method we could create a 3D model of
the image.

Oh!  I see.

OK - then using the Lego camera should be a one place to start.

You'll need the power of the PC to turn that into 3D though.

There has been some work on the business of turning a LOT of 2D images
(taken with a video camera or similar) into 3D - but your software,
math and image processing skills had better be VERY strong if you
are going to attempt it.

I went to the SigGraph 2000 conference last year and attended a
half day course on the subject - I could probably dig out the
references if you are truly serious about doing 3D reconstruction
software - but unless you are really pretty skilled in this kind
of thing, it's going to be a major effort to turn the available
literature into a working program.

The whole Lego part will be about 0.01% of the project!

This stuff is all rather new and 'researchy' - so I doubt that
there are any off-the-shelf solutions.

On the other hand, there are other ways to do 3D reconstruction.

One is to use a laser that scans up and down to create a vertical
plane of laser light. When you shine that onto a 3D object in a
darkened room, your camera will see a distorted line where that
invisible 'plane' of light slices through the 3D shape.  If you
can use your camera to capture the shape of that line, then by
spinning the object and repeating the procedure every few degrees
of rotation, you get a radial map of the shape of the object.

The problem is that this really only works for fairly round,
smooth surfaces and it doesn't work well for complex objects
with holes and such in them. That technology has been used
for scanning people's faces and things like that.

Anyway, however you measure sample points on the object, you
still have to connect them up to make a 3D object - even that
is far from trivial.  Delauny triangulation is the most popular
algorithm for doing this.

This is a *huge* and complex topic though.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>