 Robotics / 13814
Re: Elimating the need for the IR tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:57:37 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Clint Heyer) writes:

  I was wondering if anyone has ever worked out a way of communicating
direct with the RCX (via serial), rather than using the IR tower.

I don't think so.

Common wisdom was that it is impossible, until recently.
Then someone mentioned that a common spec for PCs (PC97)
requires IR chips to support a mode called Consumer Electronics IR (CEIR)
that could talk to an RCX.

See for example http://www.national.com/pf/PC/PC87109.html

Now it only remains to write software to set it up properly.
Anyone wants to write a Linux driver?
I looked but couldn't find anything to that end in 2.4.0 .

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/