 Robotics / 13760
Re: RCX & Motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:24:15 GMT

....  Can I attach two motors to the same input? I want to the control to
be identical,
but driven by two different motors so that I dont need to use any axles. .....

(I assume you meant output?)

Yes you can, I do, often!

There are two things to watch out for.

1. They will not go round at exactly the same speed unless you have a large
collection
of motors and go through with an rpm guage and select a "matched pair".

2. The motor driver chip in the RCX has a thermal cutout which will
interrupt the output
as the chip warms up. The net effect is if you load the multiple motors
fairly heavily
you will start to hear them stutter as the chip turns off, cools a little,
and turns back on.

I have not experienced any long term ill effects from having this happen
occasionally. I am
certain that TLG would have designed the motor outputs to be
unconditionally short circuit
proof given the target age group for the product.

JB