 Robotics / 13486
13485  |  13487
Subject:
New member; a few questions ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:21:21 GMT

Hi all!

I'm new to this list - so here goes a quick intro. My name is
Geert-Jan (usually abbreviated to GJ), I have a background in CS (AI)
and philosophy (logic), meaning that nowadays I work as a
computational linguist.

One of the things I'd love to try out is to add "speech" to a
legobot, both speech synthesis and speech recognition, preferably in
conjunction with the Vision unit.

I haven't tried this out, nor have I been able to find any links on
the web pointing to such attempts. So here are a few questions:

(a) Has anyone ever hooked up a speech synthesis chip (hardware) to a
    legobot?

(b) Has anyone ever used the Vision software with an *on-board*
    laptop? And, more specifically:
    (1) Is there any insight in how much weight the Lego motors can safely
        'pull', actually?
    (2) What did the construction look like?

    I presume a SONY Velo would perhaps be just fine (light, small); I
    doubt one could use something like a Palm ;-) although that WOULD
    be cute, naturally; and any laptop heavier than 4kg sort of seems
    to be out...

If one could use an onboard laptop, one could run speech
synthesis/recognition software rather than having to make use of
dedicated hardware. And - "no cables detached" in this way.

Another question, arising from the fact that I am *not* familiar with
the Vision Command set:

(c) Is it possible to let the software communicate with other
    software?

    For example, one could think of various interesting setups:
    (1) Vision/Speech "integration"
    (2) Provided you have a BlueTooth network, you could have a mobile
        WebCam.

Links, comments, etc - welcome.

Cheers,

-- Geert-Jan

University of Edinburgh Email: gj@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, gj@acm.org
Division of Informatics WWW: http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~gj/
2 Buccleuch Place tel.: ++44-(0)131-650-4421 (NEW!!)
Edinburgh EH8 9LW (UK) fax:  ++44-(0)131-650-6626

Institute of Formal & Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Mathematics & Physics, Charles University
Prague (Czech Republic)

"A mathematician is a machine turning coffee into theorems"
-- Paul Erdos (1913-1996)