 Robotics / 13360
Re: "No Contact" Homebrew Train Sensor for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:46:41 GMT

As has already been reported by others, I built an automated railroad
crossing for the NELUG train display at last weekend's Greenberg show.  I
wanted to take a moment to describe the "homebrew" sensor that I used to
detect an approaching train so that others might benefit in their own layouts.

I used a touch sensor that slightly elevated the track, detecting the
mass of train cars; it was coupled to a scout in a switch-house, and
the thing would just toggle a point whenever a train went by.  100%
reliable, but ... kinda ugly, and bulky for the size of the cantelever.

I didn't even have to modify my scout -- all off-the-shelf parts and
programming.
---
    J Austin David austindavid.com austin@gtf.org

IMAGINE that, shortly after his defeat by the tortoise, the hare had
demanded a re-run on selected parts of the course.  The tortoise
protested, and the umpire, coincidentally another tortoise, backed
him. The hare appealed to a court, coincidentally composed of seven
hares, who let him rerun those bits.  Now, groundsmen on one of the
sections of the course are saying they cannot arrange a re-match
after all, the tortoises on the local council are threatening to
reject anything that might give the race to the hare, and both sides
have hired the best alligators money can buy.
     --The Economist, 25 Nov 00: "Whatever will they think of next?"