 Robotics / 13257
13256  |  13258
Subject:
Thinking outside of the blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 06:08:19 GMT

Here is a cute stepper-motor driver we've been rigging. It takes a motor-on
pulse and converts it to a 12V stepper step. It uses positive pulses and
negative pulses to make the stepper go forward or backward. If you tell the
RCX to run the motor at any speed besides full, it sends a pulse train, so
the motor spins (as a rapid sequence of steps). All motor speeds send pulses
at the same frequency, so this method only makes the motor run at one speed.
It is set up to use a big 12V power brick, so it can drive large motors. The
RCX power is just used to trigger the steps, not to power the motor.
To couple gears to the shaft, I designed an aluminum flange that set-screws
to the stepper shaft, and an unmodified lego gear can bolt into the flange.
Here is a snapshot:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/Stepper.jpg