 Robotics / 13247
Re: Mindstorms books for a HandyBoard user ????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:27:07 GMT

"Scott Seaton" <scotts@aus.sun.com> wrote in message
I use a HandyBoard (http://www.handyboard.com/) as the controller for all • my
robotics projects.

I'm looking for a source of inspiration for some new projects, especially
some robot platform designs.

How useful are any of the Mindstorms books, if you're NOT using the RCX
controller ? The HandyBoard has the ability to use Lego sensors, but any
LegOS/NQC code examples would probably need major re-writes. So what
percentage of the books deal with construction ? (I have a reasonable
collection of Technics components, so hardware probably wouldn't be a
problem.)

I'm guessing that the more advanced books will focus more on code than
hardware. Am I right ?

Or do you think that the "tight" integration between hardware design and
software would make the construction articles too difficult to port to the
HandyBoard ?

The books tend to have a sort of 50/50 split between building and coding
apart from the Babani books which have a lot of programming (the first book
is all about using VB to program the Spirit.ocx control and has only a
little construction compared to the others). The O'Reilly and A! Press books
have good construction coverage (techniques for strong robots, how the gear
components can be used, etc) and the code is in the LEGO RCX visual and NQC
formats, but do include descriptions of what the programs are doing and why
so it should be reasonably easy to port. If you're in Europe you might do
worse than stop by my company's bookstore at http://computer-manuals.co.uk
and pick them up (shameless plug!) - I've spent 5 years developing the site
and it just never stops!

Dan