 Robotics / 13223
Re: cue cat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:49:12 GMT

Jason writes:

Have you adapted the sensor to work with the rcx, or have you just taken out
the light sensor? If you have adapted it successfully, how did you do it?

Not yet. I am still collecting. I want to try and build an array, if I get
enough
donations.

If you are interested in single light sensors, I have two suggestions;

A Cadmium Sulphide cell (like the sell in Radio Shack) is fine as a wide-ish
dynamic range light level measuring device.

If you want to build something more directional, there are a number of Y1
sized
phototransistors commonly available. I am using QSC114 in a little device
that a
number of people have tried. It is an designed for IR, so it is in an
optically black,
IR transparent housing. You can fit it and a four diode bridge in a 1x2
brick. It
has the advantage of being a lot faster than CdS cells, which is important
in my
application where I am scanning the sensor to look at beacons, made out
of IR LEDs which are flashing at different rates. It is sensitive enough that
you can connect it to the RCX with no additional amplification in passive
sensor mode.

(QSC114 and suitable D035 packaged schottky diodes are available from
Digikey.)

JB