 Robotics / 13190
RE: FW: Another DIY sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:19:18 GMT

Steve
I would hope that better mice would have better encoders, but I don't know,
I have a Logitech track ball I think I will take it apart and look at it to
see how much difference there is.... The guy who suggested duct taping a
mouse to the bottom of the computer wasn't far off

I don't have a clue about the compass thing, I just thought since the disc
was lightweight maybe you could just attach it to a small magnet somehow,
but then you have sensors to contend with,

The discussion about RS-232 is interesting, probably not happen on lego as
we know it now but I'll bet there is a "super-brick" in the works.  As for
the mouse sensors they will have to be rewired to give RAW data to a touch
sensor on the RCX and the "sophisticated" RS-232 hardware would have to be
bypassed.
phil

-----Original Message-----
From: steve [mailto:steve]On Behalf Of Steve Baker
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 12:34 PM
To: philbert@scottsbluff.net
Subject: Re: FW: Another DIY sensor

Phil Vanderpoel wrote:

I was throwing a mouse away the other day and instead took it apart to see
what makes it tick, well, it's a perfect rotation sensor.   I think it • will
be almost twice as accurate as the lego rotation sensor, more as this
project develops.

You can buy (expensive) mice with more than the usual 200 'mickeys' per inch
precision.  It might just be that those just have higher gearing on the
sensors
- but perhaps they actually have better shaft encoders.

I think it could be applied to the compass problem, but
you wouldn't get absolute accuracy,  about 12 degrees would be the best • you
could hope for.

What are you using as the compass needle?  I find it hard to imagine that
the
rather weak force that's applied by the earth's magnetic field would be
enough to turn anything with any resistance...so gearing is presumably out
of
the question.  Also, depending on how far away from the equator you are,
you'll
perhaps want to allow it to tilt as well as spin.  Remember that a compass
needle
wants to point straight down at the North Pole.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>