 Robotics / 13168
Re: The Giant Wheelbot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:20:09 GMT

From: "Edward Halonen" <gamerx25@hotmail.com>

I had the idea to build a remote controlled robot completely contained in a
sphere. It would go back and forth by the same principal; the electronics
and
battery would act as the pendulum. But the battery would also move side to
side. The theory was that while it was moving forwards or backwards, the
side
to side movement would cause it to tilt and maybe turn.

Who was it that built the 'sewer rat' ( a robot that fitted in a pipe, with
4 sets of wheels contacting the walls of the pipe)?  It shouldn't be
insanely hard to modify into a 'sphere rat'!  Did the original sewer rat use
synchro drives or fixed axles?

Now who's going to build the required gyroscope RCX sensor :)?  You'll need
one because when you brake the wheels, the sphere will keep rolling, meaning
the robot will be turning as well.  Call me a masochist, but it sounds like
a fun project.

Ben.

http://profiles.msn.com.