 Robotics / 13158
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:17:55 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I tend to think quite of few of the more serious minded
Technic enthusiasts have a large enough inventory to
be able to build examples of her delightful designs without
the need to buy more parts.

Easily - in fact my lego collection is very modest, and positively
diminutive compared with some of the pictures and lists of other's
collections online. The crane was built mainly from the 8480 Space
Shuttle, the 8448 Supercar, and the  8266 Cyberslam set, with a few
additional plates and bits and bobs from my old Technic sets bought in
the late 70's and early 80's. By the time I built the Bobcat my
collection had expanded a little mainly through the addition of spares
packs - I could still fit everything into the trays of two 8480 boxes,
the 8448 box and some bricks and plates in a smaller box. Which brings
me onto...

I wonder what she does with all these delightful little originals?
The thought of all those parts being torn to pieces to provide
raw material for the next masterpiece is too horrible to imagine!

Well, the crane is dust. Due to having a modest collection of pieces at
the time, I had to break it up to make other models - I am usually quite
ruthless this way. I was going to do the same to the Bobcat, but
heartfelt pleas from several people and perhaps a slight softening of my
own heart convinced me to keep it together. Of course, this meant I had
to acquire some more pieces to replace those it is currently consuming,
but that's life :-)

Due to a few good Ebay purchases I now have a good selection, so
hopefully this will allow me to keep the models together longer. The
only downside is that I am finding it a real pain having to drag about 8
boxes from the cupboard whenever I want to tinker about with some
pieces. I think I may choose a few bits of each piece and put them into
one box to make a "rapid prototyping" kit ;-)

Jennifer Clark