 Robotics / 13148
Re: Any one has 2 rcx's?? can a irda prot in a window based machine help in corol of the RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:36:57 GMT

>Any one has 2 Rcx ?? can nqc support control of 2 rcx's for work together??
>Does irda port of a windows based machine help in cotrol of a RCX ?

To answer part 1. NQC doesn't really know about multiple RCXs. But it
does support the built in single byte message function which can be used
as the basis for building multi-RCX based "things". The only downside to
using multiple RCXs is you have to be very careful when performing
functions from the PC, since there is no inherent RCX address. When
you send any command from the PC, all RCXs try to respond, which is
usually bad. You have to be careful to ensure you download programs
to one RCX at a time using the on/off switch as the selection mechanism.
Then when they are all ready, switch them all on and set them all running.
When you have to download the datalogs after everything crashes and burns,
you have to turn them all off but one to do it, and thus do each in turn.

It's a little ungainly, but it certainly works well.

Part 2. I don't know anything about irda, but since you have to be careful
when using the IR tower when there are mutiple RCXs around, I assume there
is no magic bullet available using it instead, even if it possible.

JB