 Robotics / 13146
Re: Turning a robot 90 degrees
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:45:08 GMT

>does anyone have a foolproof method of turning an RCX tracked robot 90
>degrees precisely?
>I've thought of motor timing, but surely that would be affected by
>battery power.
>The only solution I can think of is some sort of rotation sensor
>assembly?!?!?
>Any solutions anybody?

If you put rotation sensors on the tread drives, you can eliminate the
battery power level part. But your turn angle will be subject to slippage.

If you use beacons and a light sensor, you can align yourself. Or a single
beacon and a rotatable light sensor on a single rotation sensor, you can
do aribtrary rotates (by measuring your current orientation with respect to
the beacon).

If you use a compass, you can also do arbitrary rotates.

JB