 Robotics / 13065
13064  |  13066
Subject:
Cheap motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 04:25:49 GMT

Toys R Us in the metro NY Area (and elsewhere I suspect from the Ebay
listings) is selling Znap sets on clearance.  The motorized sets are going
for $9.97 - far cheaper than the cost of a motor alone.  They also include a
short electrical cable, one or more flex drives, some gears and the small 9v
Battery Box.  While I haven't found much use for most of the other Znap
parts, it's worth it for the motor alone.  I donated the remaining parts to
the local school's Kindergarten classes (they loved them).  TRU also was
marking down the Droid Development Set to $49.99 for a limited amount of
time, with the Robotics Discovery Set (the non-PC, stand-alone unit) at
$99.99.  While the Droid Set is near useless for real projects I have found
it useful as the first stage in a robotics class where the emphasis is on
understanding how gears work and making things move (before moving on to
more serious endeavors).  They do let teams compare their work by having all
run the same program - sort of a controlled "race."  Besides, the Droid kits
are the only sources for some unique pieces - including the improved rounded
edge gears for 90 degree power transfer - just what ARE those gears called???