 Robotics / 12933
RE: Its a Bird! Its a Plane! No, its an RCX!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:44:50 GMT

Some ballpark numbers without thought to temperature and pressure.

Approx lift for 1 Cu Ft helium = 1 Oz.

RCX = 9 Oz.  You might need two....
Motors = 2 Oz ea  4 (?) required
Misc structure and balloon estimate 2 pounds?

Total ( minimum ballpark) weight = 3 Pounds +

Volume of helium required = about 48 Cu Ft,  a dirigible about 3 feet in
diameter and 7 feet long.  I suspect after you built one it might be 40%
bigger due to growth in payload and balloon weight.

I used to work for a University that launched scientific experiments on
helium balloons, going up almost 20 miles to the top of the stratosphere.
Those balloons are made from very thin (0.002") polyethylene reinforced
with stripes of fiber very much like packing tape.  Even with this
extraordinarily light construction, the balloons often weighed more than
the payload, to get enough lift.

It would be a cool project, if you had a gymnasium to fly in.

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net