 Robotics / 12801
Re: help with NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Giacomo" <camp0s@libero.it> writes:
Finally i decided to use NQC, the Lego Programmer was too much limited, and
others system to program the RCX where still limited;in the other hand
,however, i do not want to get under the firmware.
Ok ,i downloaded the firmware 2.0 ,the NQC+Manual v2.2 r1, and after a night
of "passion" i got some question:

1) Where can i find some example of NQC programs ,just to see how they are
written;

2)What are the differences between Functions and Subroutines ? (why trere
are also Functions, subroutins are'nt better, es  less memory use)

3)What are the Assignments ? (+=, -=, /=..)

4)The #include, #define, #if definition, #ifdef symbol, #ifndef
symbol,#else, #elif condition, #endif  : what they do ?

5)Events :how can I use them ? where are they useful than choosing other
system ?

Thanks for the help.

I am a programmer a so I will try to answer some of your questions.

1) I think the NQC distribution has some examples. D. Baum's book : The
Definitive Guide to LEGO Mindstorms" is excellent and has very useful examples.
I may have not gotten the title exactly right

2) Functions are expanded inline (a copy of the code for each instance) and
subroutines are not. Functions can take arguments and subroutines can't. I
don't have my NQC manual so I may have left something out.

3) += is a short hand. for example:

     a += 1;

  is equavalent to:

     a = a + 1

These operator/assignemnts are used when you want to do something to a variable
and put the result back in it.

4) The # things are pre-processor directives. Prior to compilation, the source
is run through a pre-process that does text substitution. This is described in
any C book and in the NQC programmer's guide.