 Robotics / 12796
Re: AI, AI & AC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:05:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

At 21:48 16-10-2000 -0500, Steve Baker wrote:
Rama Hoetzlein wrote:
Jon Kongsvold wrote:
AI: Artificial Intelligence
AI: Artificial Intuition
AC: Artificial Consciousness
All very wonderful I'm sure - but isn't it just a *tad* off-topic?

Nope.

This is a Lego *robotics* list, that talks about:
Robot hardware = pBrick (RCX/CyberMAster/Scout/...)+LEGO+...
Robot software = pBrick code+PC/Mac/... code

So, if you do, like me, real time image processing/analysis/interpretation
with  the PC and send the action commands to the pBrick (CyberMaster in my
case, through RF) I think the AI/AC discussions are always food for thought.

This has essentially nothing to do with either robotics or Lego.

...short sighted are we ?

There is nowhere close to enough computing resources in anything
people are likely to have in a Lego robot to do any kind of AI/AC.

Don't you have a PC/Mac ? Can't you send commands to your RCX ?
Can't your RCX deal with basics "instincts" like avoind bagging on a wall,
or fall off a table ? There. The "AI/AC" stuff can be dealt with by the
PC/Mac.

It's challenging to make a Lego robot do even the simplest things
like navigating a room or picking something up...AI is just *so*
far out there.

AI/Fuzzy logic/Video input and analisys (why do you think there's the
Vision Command ?) helps with navigation.

Check out Hao-yang Wang Safari project (search for a Safari thread
elsewhere on this list or hao-yang_wang@filemaker.com) where you can
detect+read bar-coded "landmarks" through video input.

If you want to do AI, you'll need the biggest, meanest Pentium
money can buy with about a Gig of RAM and Prolog.  A weedy little
H8 running NQC really isn't going to cut it!

Ok. You're right, we're wrong. Right ? no way.

In the middle of a desert, there are those who choose to stay in one place,
*waiting* for water to "pass by". Other's choose to wander around... in
circles or in a "straigh" line... hoping to *find* water.

Marco C. (aka McViper)
Work mailto:mcviper@geocities.com
Home mailto:mcviper@clix.pt