 Robotics / 12783
RE: Motion/Tilt Sensor from Analog Devices and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:42:00 GMT

Not exactly....  The output is an analog voltage, meaning it's not exactly
a digital TTL 0 volts or 5 volts, but ranges from 200mv (call this low) to
Vcc-200mv (call this high).  But this is a PWM output, meaning that with
the chip stationary with normal gravity, the duty cycle is 50% (1 ms low, 1
ms high for example).  Any change due to (and only during) acceleration
will show up as a change in duty cycle (0.5 ms low, 1.5 ms high for
example).  While you can apparently set the base clock duty cycle to be as
long as 10ms, you still have to measure two channels (x and y).  I don't
think the RCX is capable of the timing required to do this, so it's going
to be necessary to use an external micro.

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net