 Robotics / 12697
12696  |  12698
Subject:
Cheap pyroelectric sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:31:49 GMT

Hi all,

Somebody pointed out to me a REALLY inexpensive pyroelectric sensor, to
be found here:

http://www.glolab.com/pirparts/pirparts.html

Technical specs are here:

http://www.glolab.com/pirparts/infrared.html

However, he was asking if the sensor can be used with my interface
circuit, to be found here:

http://arts.ramapo.edu/physics/chea/lego/pyro.htm

My answer is no, at least not without modification.  My circuit asks for
a voltage range of 0-5 volts (with 2.5 volts when there is no infrared
motion detected), while the new pyro sensor only puts out 20 mv pp,
which is way too small.  I am assuming that an op-amp is all that's
needed to boost the output to the 5 volt range, but I don't remember how
to do such things...  Anyone well versed in electronics who can help?
Michael Gasperi?  Ralph Hempel?

The reason why I think it's worth looking into:  the sensor I used costs
$40 USD.  This new sensor is only $4 USD!

Thanks all!

Hälsningar/
Henry Chea