 Robotics / 12625
12624  |  12626
Subject:
VLL, Scout, MicroScout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:30:34 GMT

OK, it's Friday afternoon, and precious little work is going on, so....I
just tried an interesting experiment.

I took a photodarlington transistor and stuck it into the light output of
the Scout.  I put the leads of the tranny in series with one side of a
short electrical lead, and put the lead between a 9V battery box and the
interesting 8 position LED light element that's in the Extreme Creatures
kit (recently on sale at $19.99).  I took the output of the light element
thru one of the flexible fiber optics and stuck it into a MicroScout light
sensor.

Well, it all works.  The Scout does it's VLL blinking thing, and the
MicroScout responds happily.  In theory this means you could use the Scout
to control up to nine motors:  One directly ("A"), one to rotate the LED
element ("B") among eight flexible fiber optic elements (along with
appropriate gearing and a touch sensor to stop at the right place), and
motor "C" VLL output to control 8 MicroScouts.  Including the various an
noying beeping sounds ;>)  Perhaps it's time to start snapping up those
$49.99 Droid Developer kits.

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology