 Robotics / 12615
12614  |  12616
Subject:
Optical card reader for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:27:32 GMT

Hello ! ,

I'm trying to do a optical card reader using the light sensor of the RCX.

I put on a 8x6 board different 2x1 smooth piecies of varios colors ,then i
slice them near to the light sensor and i got different value depending of
which color the sensor is seeing.
I found that:

black ones gives 31 to 34
yellow and whithe ones gives 46-49
blu ones 37-39

and when there is nothing the value drops to 28-29.

Now, i'm a bit in difficult way, because i could'nt find a way to correctly
read the "card" : I'm using two main value, if the sensor reads more than
47, then it's a 1, if the value is under 47, it's a 0.

Here is how it should work (but it did'nt):

:loop

if light>30 (if>30 there is a black piece before all the others ,it's a
start bit)
THEN
wait 80 (100 = 1 second)
read light--->V1 ( V1,V2,V3 are the variables in which I store data)
wait 80
read light--->V2
wait 08
read light--->V3

end loop

Then it checks and replace the value in the 3 variables,

if V1>46 then put 1, else a 0
if V2>46 then put 10, else a 0
if V3>46 then put 100, else a 0

After it adds the tree variables in TOTAL:
TOTAL=V1+V2+V3 and i get somethings like that: 000, 001, 101,..... .
Then it checks for the value in TOTAL and then do the respective command.

I put the Wait 80 to have enought time to move the card in front of the
sensor (by  hand).

Schematics of the card:  ( "==" is a 1x2 smooth piecie)

                  OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO
                  OOOOOOOO
                  OOOOOOOO
                  OOOOOOOO
                  ========
   1° is Black   _| | | |_ 4° is the 3 color
2° is the 1 color _| |
                      |_ 3° is the 2 color

I think it's a sincronization problem, on not ?

(i'm using the Gordon Brick Programmer 1.4.6)

(thanks for reading until there,and i'm sorry for my (non good) English).

---
  "Mine!  Mine!  It's all mine!"

            -- Daffy Duck
---