 Robotics / 12182
  Vision Command

I just picked up a copy of the Vision Command today and boy is it cool ! I found it toady in my local Target along with the $49.95 mos espa pod race special :-) The little web cam is way cool. it takes great pictures, better than my other web cam. (...) (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

Hi John, Is it possible for you to put some sample pictures ( up close of Lego, of course ) somewhere on the web? You could maybe post them to BrickShelf, if you don't have web space elsewhere... I for one would be very interested in seeing the (...) (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

I have a pic posted from my first project (a self-aware robot that can recognize itself) at (URL) on my web site at (URL) will be posting some addition pics at these same locations later on. I am still playing with coming up with the best lighting, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) Can the camera be used as a standard webcan/pc camera useing normal software (24 years ago, 27-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) Yes, the driver that comes with the camera is a normal Video for Windows driver, so any software that you have that does Video for Windows should work fine. (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

Can you use other cams with the lego software? I have an X10 wireless cam I'd like to use. -gyug (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) Yes, from Windows point of view, the camera and its built-in microphone (!) are just like any other video and audio input devices. They work just fine with Microsoft Netmeeting for example. And you can build monitor and tripod stands from (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

Can the VC system be put on an autonomous bot? Or is there required power umbilical? Could I have it follow a light in a dark room, for example? --Jack Gregory Chris Osborn <fozztexx@pez.fullsystem.com> wrote in message news:Fzz80E.Bn7@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) You can do what you want with the camera, but there's a 5 meter USB cord that has to be plugged into the computer if you want the camera to do anything. (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) It's possible, but I can't find a way to choose which VfW device to use. The options for tweaking the camera are very limited. I did get more sophisticated options during the install, but apparently that was my only chance to use them, cuz now (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) To use the VC system with a RCX bot, you have to plug the camera into an USB port of your computer, and the RCX needs to be able to communicate with the IR tower. The Vision software always runs on the computer, but can send commands to the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

Question: Could you set up Vision Command to operate as a colour sensor? (thoughts of a all lego aproach to sorting lego come to mind) James P (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

Yes. But remember, you need a Windows PC to connect the camera to and run the Vision software that does the color detection. That's not really an "all lego approach". Using a laptop helps. Tilman ----- Original Message ----- (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

In message <G00oHx.JAI@lugnet.com>, James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> writes (...) Not having played with Vision command yet, but can't you do all this with any web cam and a bit of VB? (Yes you can!) Looking for edges, colours, moving (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) The camera is compatible with the VFW and can be used as a general purpose camera with anything that uses VFW. Vision Command on the other hand, does not use VFW and therefore is not compatible with other cameras. Later, Guy (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Vision Command

the color sensing software works great recognizing greens, blues & reds. It has a hard time recognizing black. which kind of hinders my project of making a self recognizing robot. (it has a hard time recognizing the lens section) lighting - (...) (24 years ago, 3-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

(...) Can you buy a longer cable for the camera? (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command

Hi Ahui I have already a few webcams working at my place, four webcams from Philips Pro 30fps. In webcam world we call that one of the private use, its the most used webcam and gives the best image. A few cams I have enlarged with a cable of 15 feet (...) (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command [cables]

For some time I have used a Logitec Quick Cam Pro with the Mars set and other applications for a Lego camera, Pre-Vision Command. It has about a five foot cable. I got a 10 foot extension. It was balky about installing but did eventually install and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Vision Command [cables]

USB cables aren't like the old serial or parallel port cables, where not all cables had all the "optional" pins connected. USB has only 4 wires, and that's it. So a missing wire won't be your problem. USB however is picky abou t cable length, and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)