 Robotics / 12162
RE: Lego Breaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 21:09:25 GMT

The answer to good casters seems to revolve (excuse the pun) around
the caster radius. Using a narrow wheel (to limit turning friction) helps.
The real key is the distance from the wheel's axle to the caster's axis
of rotation. The bigger the better, since the required torque goes down.

But, as in all things, its a trade off. Make the distance too large and the
wheel tucks too far under and shortens the height of the three wheel
triangle that everything is balancing on. (You can of course use two casters
most people do, but you still end up with the leading triangle being small
which can cause toppling if the thing stops abruptly.)

Wish I got to Lego (verb ?) at work!

JB

That's funny--I didn't remember that the Lego privileges [It's darned
awkward at times to construct sentences without using the word _Legos_!]
were taken away ... just the fact that all the engineers were into them.

We are a fairly small company (or division), with only about 25 people, and
quirkiness isn't exactly discouraged. Our CTO's response was, "Cool!" So I'm
not _really_ having to defend myself ... but I was interested in finding
that article for anecdotal references.

As for me, I'm using my lunch hour to build. Among other things, it's giving
me a perspective of how long it takes to construct a decent 'bot. So far day
one was spent on the basic chassis and day two on mounting a sensor-equipped
bumper.

I'm on carpet, which makes using a rear caster tricky (the 'bot has trouble
straightening out). Seems that using as narrow a wheel as possible seems to
work better. Any other ideas about improving its performance?

Doug Wilcox
Senior Web Developer
iMcKesson Provider Solutions Group-Needham

"You see, I had this space suit. How it happened was like this ..."
(Opening lines from Robert A. Heinlein's _Have Space Suit--Will Travel_)