 Robotics / 12118
Re: Linux & RCX mini-HOWTO- comments/thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:56:59 GMT

"Luis Villa" <liv@duke.edu> writes:

Hi, everybody-
Because I'm sick of Linux people telling me "I thought you couldn't use the
RCX with Linux" I've put together a mini-HOWTO (for eventual inclusion in the
Linux Documentation Project archives) on the use of Linux and the RCX. So far,
it covers:

1) legOS (well, duh ;) (C, C++)
2) RCX.pm (Perl)
3) NQC
4) pbForth (Forth)
5) TinyVM (Java)

Are there options here that I'm missing? These don't need to be full-blown,
legOS-type OSs- clearly, RCX.pm doesn't fall into that category. I'm just
looking for any systems (of any type) that allow Linux users to use an RCX.

You can read what I've done so far here:
http://www.duke.edu/~liv/Linux/index.html

I know that this isn't primarily RCX stuff, but you might mention
that mlcad and l3p can be used with wine. I find creating .dat's of my
robots very useful for documentation purposes (but then again, I keep
my .dat's and NQC sources in my local CVS archive, too, so call me an
archivation freak ;-) )

Anyway, I hope to officially submit this to the LDP later this week. Let me
know (either at this address, liv@duke.edu, or at the one listed in the HOWTO)
if you have any thoughts, clarifications, etc. Thanks!

Thanks for your initiative in starting this document. It would
helped me a lot while deciding to buy a RIS a few months earlier ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

Luis

--
"Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature"