 Robotics / 11993
11992  |  11994
Subject:
Detecting a laser-pointer dot with LEGO light sensor (was "Autonomous robots")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 04:34:35 GMT

Mario Ferrari wrote: ( http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11948 )
3) A different landmarking approach could be using a laser beam to query
some base stations (if you're open to use a non-Lego laser pointer). The
idea is you have a roating laser pointer connected to a motor and a rotation
sensor (multiplied to increase resolution). When the robot wants to
calculate its position, it stops and starts slowly rotating the laser beam.
The base stations have a light sensor positioned at the same height of the
laser beam. When the light sensor gets hit by the laser light, it reads
almost 100% and the base station transmit an IR message to say "got it".

And Jürgen Stuber wrote in reply: ( http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=11957 )

Almost 100% is an understatement, a laser really saturates a
light sensor.  The problem is hitting it in the first place,
I found that next to impossible to achieve.  I'd rather go
for some strobe lights (good for identification by rhythm),
or maybe halogene lights, with the light sensor on the robot
like scanbot in Dave Baum's book.  I also tried candles
once, but they are to dim, they can be seen only from a
short distance, on the order of 10cm.

On the detecting a laser pointer thing -- I solved it last year.  Check out
LaserTarget on my Mindstorms Inventions page.
http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/gallery.asp?userid=36101#LaserTarget

Cheers

JP