 Robotics / 11988
11987  |  11989
Subject:
Human brain..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:50:52 GMT

Dear friends,

Here is a brief response to the human brains discussion, which I have
been following with great interest.

It is not at all clear, even to the scientific community, that the
functions of
the human brain are on the same level of my subjective experiences of
will, emotion, intellect and memory...

That is. Human mind (subjective experience) consists of:
1) Will
2) Emotions
3) Intellect/Understanding
4) Memory

While the Human brain consists of:
1) Neurons
2) Synapses
3) Blood vessels
4) Physical body? (is brain and body one or two)
5) Etc.

The general analogy that human mind is to human brain as computer
software
is to computer hardware is simply an analogy constructed from our
technological
orientation of thought. It does not necessarily reflect the real
relationship between
mind and brain. Personally, I believe that the questions of autonomous
intelligence
will not be "solved" (if ever) until we understand the nature of the
relationship between
mind and brain. That is, the correct relationship between emotions, will
and
understanding (mental subjective aspects) and neurons, electrons,
signals (physical aspects) is not really understood. This question is,
by the scientific community, is
left to the indefinity future because it deals only with physically
reality - not
subjective experience.

Interestingly however, the movement of digital culture and technology is
not
limited by physical reality - people continue to create algorithms,
programs,
behavioral robots, and working systems all based on their subjective
ideas
about intelligence. (ie. The robot designer says "i will design an
algorithm that
plays chess based on how i myself think (subjectively) about chess.")
For this reason, I believe robots will always be tools to understanding
human
intelligence - mimicing our current level of understanding of human
intelligence.
And that human intelligence itself may turn out to be a never ending
path
of self-discovery because it involves introspection on concepts, ideas,
hierarchies
and thoughts - mental entities which are limitless. Each moment that a
robot is constructed that encompasses X amount of mimicry of human
intelligence (
say X currently includes insect behavior, chess playing, etc.), there
must exist Y additional aspects to human intelligence which correspond
to the vantage point
necessary to construct X, and there must exist Z additional aspects
beyond Y
which are potentially new discoveries about human intelligence.

W  <-- W outdated technology (realized and understood in the past)

X   <-- X current state of robot intelligence (what we can
realistically construct now)

Y   <-- Y current human understanding of intelligence which allows us
to construct X

Z   <-- Z infinite potential for deeper understanding of intelligence

  |             (not yet understood by humans)
\|/

Y moves to Z, X moves to Y, W moves to X... and so on, following an
indefinite path
of self-discovery.

Well, thats my 2 cents..

Rama Hoetzlein