 Robotics / 11934
Re: LEGO AUV wins the 3rd annual AUV competition!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:10:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dennis Clark writes:
Hi all,

I just had to tell since others apparently haven't heard yet.  The 3rd
annual Automated Underwater Vehicle (AUV) competition just ended in Florida.
There were many entrants from universities and labs across the USA and a
couple in Canada.  MIT, Cornell, Naval Academy etc. were all represented,
many robots were in the multiple 10's of thousands of dollars.  However, the
hero's IMO were the University of Rhode Island with their twin RCX controlled
AUV.  It was the smallest and lightest of all of the vehicles entered.  But
the coolest news is that it WON!  By getting within 6 inches of a perfect
run before burrowing into the depths (a common problem with many of the AUVs
there).

For more information, check out Jon's trip report located:
http://www.huv.com/competition/

Its a fun read.  Yea team!  Go LEGO!

DLC

   I had summarized the newspaper reports of the competition in:

      http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=19802

   Thanks for the details and pictures!

Brian