 Robotics / 11847
Re: running the motors underwater - update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:34:47 GMT

Hi Ben

It's great! It sounds like we both are using the same book... :o)

I also did something similar (you can see some pics at brickshelf).

When you say that you used the 4200 motor, is it the 'not geared down' motor?
Are you using propellers to move the sub (up and down, and steering)?

Since I don't have battery box, I'm plugging the motors on my rcx and using
the remote control to test them. If I plug them to the battery box, with no
rcx in between, are they going to work faster?

If you have some pic I'd love to take a look.

Ricardo

In lugnet.robotics, Ben Erwin writes:

Just regular Boston water.  God knows what is in it.

Anyway, I decided to use the older 4200 motors for the submarine... don't need
to gear up and there aren't as many holes to plug up.

I covered the entire bottom of the motors in sealent/adhesive (after the wire
was plugged onto it, of course).  Then I pulled the black axle thing off, and
put more sealent/adhesive on the outer part of the exposed circular area.  I
did this because I had previously taken one of these motors all the way apart
and seen that there are 3 little holes at the front end of the motor, and i
didn't want water to get in there.  Then I put some vaseline on the bottom of
the motor shaft and put the axle back on.  The sub works great.  I have only
played with it for a few minutes at a time, so I am not sure about heating
effects.  I let the submarine soak in the sink underwater overnight, though,
and it still worked in the morning.  no leaks.

this is a temporary solution, until i decide to make something more • complicated
that involves some sort of membrane to account for expanding air due to
heating.

In the book "building an underwater robot" that inspired the idea in the first
place, they have a motor inside of a film canister.  I might try this next, • but
I'm looking for the simplest solution possible... if anyone has any
suggestions...

yay!

-Ben

In lugnet.robotics, "CS Kwok" <yl711@netvigator.com> writes:
Are your tank filled with salt water? What is the electro-conductivity
of your water?

By the way, sinking a motor under water will damage lubricant inside
the motor.

I suggest you to pack the whole mechanic into a metal case, and seal
the metal case by silicon. As metal can help to heat disposal under water.

Regards
CS Kwok