 Robotics / 11788
Re: Looking for non-LEGO robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:32:19 GMT

in article f04320420b56c7e3306f9@[136.176.42.230], Barbara Nostrand at
lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote on 6/13/00 5:17 PM:

Hi.

Well, I talked a place into letting me teach there Mech E. Robotics
course. Yes, they have a Puma arm, but I would like to offer the
students something to work on during the first half of the course
that won't kill or mame them if they make a mistake. There used to
benchtop educational arms and other small robots which would serve
the bill. The problem is that I am having a hard time finding them
and I want to try to acquire stuff for September. Yes, I know that
that is a fool's errand, but I will try anyway.

Pitsco has some robotics stuff.  You might like their Brutus robot arm.  It
costs over $2700, but it probably can't maim anyone.

http://www.shop-pitsco.com/catalog.cfm

I worry about you being able to get the stuff in a timely manner.  Whenever
I have ordered from Pitsco, it's been painfully slow.  With this in mind, I
did a quick Sherlock search and found a few sites.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/

These guys have a nice collection of educational robot kits.  They've been
around for several years but I've never dealt with them myself.

http://electronickits.com/robot/owi007.htm

Super-cheap.  Know nothing about these guys.

http://www.robix.com/

Looks like a modular robot arm construction kit.  Featured in Wired.

This ought to get you started.

Why am I getting to teach robotics to Mechanical Engineers? Well,
their roboticist left and the course is currently required. Anyway,
I am open to ideas. I do think that the students will be expected
to make the Puma work by the end of the course, but I would like
to have them do a bit of other stuff too.

Lots of luck to you!

Barbara Nostrand
mailto:nostrand@bradley.edu

--