 Robotics / 11759
Re: Extra RAM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:07:37 GMT

The full list of all spatial information will describe the 'world' in
means of position. While the list of Objects describes the 'world' in
means of Objects like tables, doors etc. If you want your robot to go to
door 4, it only have to scan the list of objects to find the Object
'Door 4' check the link to the spatial data and than it can calculate
the 'best' way to go there.

Ah! I think I see the difference. My concept of the "map" is something that
starts out blank and the prime objective is to fill it in. I suspect the
use of a term like "door" implies a map supplied from outside. In which case
I agree that an object based expression of the surroundings is far better than
a raster based one. Unless .. you have an algorithm which allows your robot
to determine that something is a door! In which case I want to know a lot
more about how you do that!

JB