 Robotics / 11756
Re: Extra RAM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:28:47 GMT

I feel compelled to add that using a bit map greatly simplifies the
code involved in handling a map. And it allows mapped features to
be classified easily too. Each byte, in a 2D "map" array represents a
patch in the real world (a paxel? or loxel perhaps) and it can take on
different values depending on whether a location is uninvestigated,
known and off limits, known and within limits, contains a moveable
object etc etc. It is quite hard to represent this richness using
vectors. But as has been noted before, the RCX's 32k makes it a very
tight fit for these types of applications.

JB

Is the world ready for the superbrick I wonder?

Andy Gombos wrote:

I was just thinking that with more room, you could have full-fledged
versions of software, and with limited firmware, you could have super huge
arrays that could be used to store data in very high resolutions(like a
map for navigation).
Andy
How much resolution do you want to have and what for? If i think of an
high resolution map, I think of vectors not bit maps. Esp. in a high
resolution environment, you are much better and faster with vectors than
with bit maps.

If you imaging a integer (16 Bit signed) vector map with a resolution of
1 mm, you can describe a rectangular area of  65 by 65 meters. I thing
this is enough for most LegoRobots. With souch an aproach i've described
the outlines of my flat in under 2K of data.

Regards Carsten