 Robotics / 11656
11655  |  11657
Subject:
where to find lots of cool parts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:17:41 GMT

    there was a box of old printers (epson dot matrix, olivetti spark

jet, radio shack ink jet, atari 1020 plotter, etc.) on its way to the

trash finally after years and years of hoping to find a use for them.

    that was before i was turned on to mindstorms. now all those gears

and slide racks and cams and motors may have a purpose after all.

    would it be considered a sacrilege or desecration to use these
parts

in my projects? would the total purist be offended by this? i hope
not.

    important tip: never throw anything away. dismantle it first and
you

will always be able to find space for it.

I use "alien" bits and pieces all the time. Just be careful of one
thing.

The ABS that Lego parts are made of is <underline>very</underline> soft.
When you start mixing in

real world motors and gears and things it is very easy to break stuff.

But don't let that slow you down ..

JB