 Robotics / 11469
Re: Radio Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 16:40:12 GMT

I talked to my phyiscs teacher today, he thinks that using the intensity of the
signal to find the distance from one of the beacons would work. Though there'd
be a problem of false signals. But that would be localized, it seems, and if
the transmitters are high enough, it wouldnt be much of a problem. Though then
you would need to know the heights of the sensors, maybe, I dunno. I was
playing with calculating the intensity from the distance and vice versa. I even
wrote a small program on my TI-83 to find the distances from the beacons to the
recevers location when given the intensity of each beacon at its position and
the power the beacos (assuming each beacon to have the same power). But, the
main problem is this, well, there are two actually. The first if finding
something to get the intensity of a certain frequency. Does anyone know where I
can find something like that, or how to make that? Then the next problem is
feeding that data into the robot. I was thinking prehaps a BASIC stamp to
handle the positioning. But then the problem will be feeding that data to the
RCX. Maybe via the infared port, but then its a matter of figuring out how to
use the BASIC stamp to send infrared.

Any thoughts on any of this, anybody?
Thanks

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Jadin writes:
Is the rcx strong enough? Maybe well, but some of computing should be made
on a pc, comunicating with the rcx. In this case, the ir technology doesn't
allow the robot to move far away from the ir tower. But if you can achieve
this with an independant rcx... wow ;-)